Piya Wiconi Okolakiciye
Regular Meeting Minutes
October 21, 2011
Call to Order: Meeting called to order @10: 11 am
Prayer: Ruth Cedar Face
Present: Leslie Mesteth, Shirley Brewer, Maria Albers, Grady Brunsch, Michel Melvin, Thedna Zimiga, Akisa Milk(Student) , Lyle Wilson, Jeff Olson, Clifford Delong, Monica Spider, Ruth Cedar Face, Sylvia Hollow Horn
Roll Call of members present: x T. Zimiga, x M. Melvin, x G. Brunsch, x L. Wilson, x L. Mesteth, x S. Brewer, x S. Hollow Horn(excused at 11:23), x M. Albers;
(Student) Akisa Milk - Wanblee , (Student)Monica Spider – Pahin Sinte,
Approval of Minutes – September 16, 2011
Motion to approve of the meeting minutes from September 16, 2011
Motion by: Maria Albers
Seconded by: Michel Melvin
Officer Reports –
1. President, Leslie Mesteth – Substance Abuse Policy Passed
2. Vice-President, Shirley Brewer – No report
3. Recorder/Secretary, Thedna Zimiga – No report
Committee Reports – Limit to 5 minutes, please give any changes or updates to previous reports.
1. Activities – Theresa Lone Hill-Not present
2. Assessment – Dawn Frank - Not present
3. Institutional Development – Clifford Delong. Joan will bring a split policy for the Nursing Dorm. A policy that Steph and Shirley will have reviewed will be brought to the committee. Milton had a motion to strike 83-500 the motion was defeated and it was sent to policy and procedure subcommittee to be reviewed. Laptops are at the bookstore. Personnel is still working on an assessment.
4. Student Services –
5. Instructional Affairs – Jeff Olson- No Report
New Business – Limit to 10 minutes for each presenter.
Update: Ruth Cedar Face on the Disability application and procedure that goes along with that. We don’t have resources for the students. We have to define the procedure for students to follow. We can only do so much to assist the students with. This will be brought to the next meeting with information about how it aligns with the American with Disabilities Act. We need to refine our procedures.
Motion for Ruth Cedar Face to take the disabilities procedure back to Student Services
Motion by Maria Albers
Seconded by Grady Brunsch
Discuss: Manual Maintenance Procedure 36-000-1
1. 1. The person or group bringing forward a modified or new policy/procedure will send the relevant document electronically to the appropriate standing committee of the Piya Wiconi Okolakiciye…
2. Strike 2. After the policy/procedure…
3. 3. After Approval by the standing Committee…
4. 8. Strike c. All changes made to the Policy and Procedure manual…
Strike the exhibit 23-007-2 and replace with the PWO Form 2 Circular Routing Sheet
Motion to accept the changes to the Manual Maintenance (Procedure) 36-000-1
Motion by Michel Melvin
Seconded by Shirley Brewer
Clifford Delong excused at 10:41
Discussion: Student Support Services which only services 1st generation students and those students with a need. The program can only service those students within the program.
Discussion on Placement tests and Developmental Courses (Policy) 70-300
What services can be provided for these students.
Perhaps review before taking the accuplacer?
We need a survey, but what questions do we need to ask?
We need a survey for incoming freshman this semester and freshman this spring.
Have the counselor do the survey
Some questions could be:
Why don’t we have cohorts?
Do you need tutoring?
Can we have faculty tutors?
Can we have faculty of online classes come to do a lab each week?
Should the pace of the course be increased/decreased?
Bachelor degrees: Can we have money for a people that start a bachelor degree and continue to completion? Perhaps two scholarships given at two different points as they progress, without stopping or sitting out, and are doing so with satisfactory progress.
GED is a self-paced program with a GED tutor as a guide to help students work through their levels.
Workshops during the summer or break to remediate students in math and reading?
Why aren’t we inviting high schools in?
Student Services: There is an appeal process for PELL. There needs to be a definition of criteria for appeals such as fire, death, acts of god, terrorism, not day to day things such as lack of transportation, health issues, and day care issues.
We have an open door policy.
Sylvia excused at 11:23
(8 voting hereafter)
Strategic Plan: To combine Foundational Studies and Student Support Services
Seems to be two questions.
Charges to Instructional Affairs and Institutional Development
Next Friday is a Division Meeting perhaps everyone can come to listen in.
Motion to have Instructional Affairs and Institutional Development look at
1. Placement Tests/ Developmental Courses
3. Student Advising/Tutoring
4. Status Sheets
Motion by Grady Brunsch
Second by Michel Melvin
Motion to adjourn
Motion by Shirley Brewer
Second by Maria Albers
Meeting adjourned @ 11:37